Hi Everyone,
Believe it or not, my classes ended on Thursday last week! After a few crazy days of paper- writing, I submitted my essays and work journal and left that evening for Matagalpa. I spent Friday visiting my campo host family in Cerro Grande with my friend Rachel - they were very surprised by my visit! We made tortillas and visited other community members. That afternoon they accompanied Rachel and me on the three hour walk to San Ramon, the closest town, and they cried as we bid them farewell. I promised them I´d return again, which means I´ll have to come back to Nicaragua within the next few years!!
I spent Saturday galavanting through the rainforest with Rachel and six guys from California, Washington and Oregon who are here in Nicaragua making a documentary. We swung on vines, climbed up enormous fallen trees and howled back at howler monkeys. It was a very playful day! Finally on Sunday I made my way to Jinotega alone, which is where I will be based for my independent project. I´m working with an organization called Cuculmeca that focuses on education and sustainable agriculture in campesino communites. It is a fantastic organization and everyone has been incredibly welcoming to me! My advisor in an environmental engineer and carries a beautiful vision for a healthy and sustainable world! I´ve spent the past two days on the back of a heavy-duty dirt bike (and a horse!) visiting potential sites for my project. Chico, the man driving the bike, is a community outreach representative for Cuculmeca, and he works closely with familes as they develop long-term plans for their farms. He patiently explains to uneducated peasants the pros and cons of adopting organic agriculture practices, describing how many of the ailments they face are due to the poisons they use on their fields. Chico has been incredibly kind to me, and has invited me to his home for all of my meals. His wife is very sweet too, and his daughter who is just a few years older than me is becoming a friend.
Anyway, I have VERY limited internet access now, but next time I will explain my project to you! I hope you are well!
Love,
Em
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment